Hello! Welcome to my blog. My name is Em and I work as a cook in rural Minnesota where I live with my hubby. I hope you'll enjoy this assortment of random things I like and mini-adventures I'm living.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

March of March

The month of March keeps marching on. Before we know it, we'll be headed toward Lake Superior. For now, it's still early spring and chilly. Yesterday's hike at Blue Mounds State Park pretty much came down to this: 28 degrees F, windy prairie, 5 hours, 10 miles, and a 35 pound pack. That was the challenge, but I completely forgot about the aching in my shoulders when I took in the surroundings. There were bluffs rising from the prairie, prickly pear cactus tucked next to rocks, and a herd of buffalo in their winter coats, to name a few.


Catnip was coming up, in spite of the cold.








"Hen and chicks" ?



Prickly pear cactus hiding out in the grass.

Stopped for lunch behind Eagle Rock to get (mostly) out of the wind.


The old Sioux quartzite quarry

Goodness I was bushed by the end, but I felt a sense of victory. The Emily I was two years ago, or five, or ten, didn't dream of doing this, much less imagine she could.

I celebrated and warmed up with some coffee from The Bean in nearby Luverne, MN.




☕🤓😊💪

No comments:

Post a Comment