Hello! Welcome to my blog. My name is Em and I work as a cook in rural Minnesota where I live with my hubby. I hope you'll enjoy this assortment of random things I like and mini-adventures I'm living.

Saturday, October 1, 2016

DIY Apple Press

 


My pa put together his own apple press. Here's the low-down on all the bits and pieces! Plus some fun prairie moments...
 


Here's the wooden supports for the grinder (left) and press (right).


Mama looking oh-so-joyous.


Dad assembling the hopper for grinding apples.


The hopper assembled. The cast-iron parts are the only part he
purchased instead of making himself.




The hopper wheel.


Adding water to the wheelbarrow of apples.



All set for grinding some apples!! The pieces will go into a
lined stainless steel bin underneath.


A bin full of crushed apples all ready to press. There's a hole
in the underside for the juice to run out into the bucket below.


There's bar drain pieces on the bottom and along the side above the drain hole to allow juices to
flow easily down and out of the bin.


He adds a hydraulic jack between the press board and the board above.


After the apples have been pressed as much as possible
with the original board, he adds blocks between.


Beautiful fresh pressed cider!


Running the hopper.
 
Pasteurizing and canning the cider.
 

 
 
It was a great time with the padres at home! Plus they sent several gallons of cider home with me. Now, to make some hard cider and some apple cider vinegar...

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! My parents are always coming up with some new project. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to make an apple press like yours. Thanks

    ReplyDelete